//Google Plus Verification Google+

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Ruby Throated Hummingbird

These male Ruby Throated Hummingbirds posed nicely for me and my camera last week.

I was just heading out for a hike in Northwest Ontario Canada, with my faithful pup Charlee, and I happened to be wearing a red, short sleeved t-shirt. Just as we neared the edge of a tree-line, one of these guys came whizzing right up to me, and hoovered beside my right shoulder. I could hear him there, but I could not see him without turning my head. When I turned my head to look, I suppose I startled him and he whirred off.

This gave me an idea. I quickly changed shirts, and put out my red one with a stack of red and yellow plastic drinking glasses filled with some sweet water.

I spent the next hour waiting patiently for their return. They would come very in-frequently to investigate the red shirt, but none of them were checking out the glass of sugar-water. I gave up and left the area. I came back the next day to see if any of them had gotten the idea, and sure enough, they had.



Here are some of my resulting shots.

Male Ruby Throated Humming Bird

Male Ruby Throated Humming Bird

All photos on this page are copyrighted, and may not be used without consent in writing from the owner. Please use the contact eventhorizonsphoto@gmail.com for more information.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It helps me get a feel for what people like and dislike about the blog.